Church History (1 of 3)
The Original Sanctuary (now the chapel) as Built in 1962
St. John's organized as a mission by the United Lutheran Church in America (UCLA).
Pastor Harry Baertschi was the Mission developer. He served from 1956 to 1958. His call was to knock on doors and organize St. John's and then move on to develop another congregation.
The organizational meeting was held on October 28, 1956 at the Glendale Women's Club on Glenn Dr., a few blocks from the current location. The first worship service was November 4, 1956 with 49 people in attendance. Every Sunday, worshipers had to set up chairs, the altar and piano and then put everything away after the services. The Sunday School was held under a the big tree in the side yard of the women's club. The Charter for membership was opened December 30, 1956
The site at 51st Ave and Myrtle was purchased for $21,000.
March 2, 1958: St John’s was officially organized as a congregation with 61 adults and 113 children. The charter was closed on April 6 with 68 adult members.Pastor Frank Starkey called Nov 22, 1958 and presided at his first service on January 11, 1959. He remembers teaching the Bethel Bible Series and the impact it had on people’s faith. He served until 1964.
First church building (now the chapel) and north wing dedicated. Ed Clark was one of those with a shovel at the groundbreaking. The first church office was in what is now room 3
Pastor Paul Halvorson (served 1964-1973) called. St. John’s helped to found the Glendale Family Development Center (59th Ave & Northern) that was dedicated to helping families break the cycles of illiteracy, poverty and abuse.